Whoever said that home improvement was something meant for the ladies doesn’t know the modern man. Aside from working and providing for their family, men worldwide are also interested in fashion, lifestyle, food, and health and wellness. Not only that, but they want to incorporate these things into their homes.
Having said that, let us look at three home improvement ideas suitable for guys.
An Outdoor Kitchen
There are many benefits to having an outdoor kitchen. First, you can enjoy having a real, traditional barbecue with family, friends, and colleagues without having to worry about getting unwanted smoke all over your house. Second, if you are planning on selling, an outdoor kitchen enhances your home’s sales appeal, not to mention increasing its financial value. Finally, an outdoor kitchen can save you on utility bills as it often uses natural light, thus requiring less electricity.
In terms of size, you can make your outdoor kitchen as big or small as you’d like. The same goes for functionality. You can have either one or two grills, an ice maker, a refrigerator, or a beer dispenser. It all depends on your needs and your budget.
No matter what you choose to include, select appliances and materials carefully. Remember you are outdoors, and the kitchen will face the natural elements. Also, you will often be cooking foods that you would normally not cook inside, such as large steaks, pork ribs, and large amounts of vegetables.
As such, invest in sturdy walls made of brick or strong tiles and floors suitable for food processing. They are not only more durable but also easier to clean.
A Home Gym
Once the party is finished, the guests have left, and the outdoor kitchen is clean, it’s time to burn off those extra calories and get back into shape. The best way to do this is by working out in your personal home gym. As with the kitchen, there are plenty of options to choose from regarding size and functionality. Yet, there are a few things you should consider:
- Make sure you have enough space for the three main components of all workouts. These are strength-training, cardio, and recovery.
- If possible, use free weights instead of machines. They are both cheaper and more effective to tone both sides of the body equally.
- Instead of a treadmill or an elliptical trainer, invest in a multi-purpose cardio machine such as a rower or a studio cycle. It will give you a far bigger bang for your buck.
- A recovery area doesn’t have to be any bigger than two yoga mats. It is enough space to do your stretching and cool-down exercises like walking in place.
- Use mirrors. Aside from allowing you to stare at your beautiful self, they help you maintain form while exercising and let you see the physical progress you are making.
- Ensure there is enough ventilation. Either air conditioning, an air circulation machine, fans, or plenty of windows will do. The important thing is that there is enough clean air flowing.
These are fundamental things to consider. Provided you have more money and space, you could also look into a home sauna, a mediation area, or a wet bar.
If there is one thing all guys love, it is gadgets. From smartphones to intelligent coffee makers and everything in between, guys love things they can program and control either with their voices or with a remote. Currently, there are plenty of those things in the market, more than anybody could imagine. Hence, if you find yourself lost, you could look into purchasing devices in the areas of safety, convenience, and fun.
First, think about safety. Safety is not only about CCTV cameras and motion sensors. Although these are essential, they need to serve a bigger purpose. Examples are cameras that trigger the lights, automatically dial emergency numbers like 911 or the fire department, or create noise to scare burglars away from your property.
Convenience is lighting that changes based on mood or being able to control your air conditioning or heater remotely. The benefit of this is you arriving at a warm or cold home depending on the season.
As for fun, you could buy a smart TV that is interconnected with a surround sound system. Another idea is a smart speaker that not only chooses music for you but also gives you advice on everything from restaurants and shopping business wear to romantic date ideas and nutrition.
There is never a bad time to work on improving your home. For all guys out there looking for ways to improve their houses, try building an outdoor kitchen or a home gym and making your house smarter. These are three great ideas that will make your life easier, more convenient, and definitely more exciting.